The original building at Glencoe Elementary School was constructed during the 1938 – 1939 school year and served the community as a high school for many years. The white wooden building that presently houses a second grade classroom, special education, and janitorial supply room was built in 1928 as a home economic building at the old high school. When the new high school was built in 1938, the building was moved to this campus and was used for the lunchroom.
An addition was constructed in 1958 and the school then housed grades 1 – 6. Josephine Booker was named first principal of the new Glencoe Grammar School. Because of rapid growth in the Glencoe area, a middle school was built in 1978 and Glencoe Elementary School became a K – 4 school. Continued growth required portable units to be brought on campus until the 1988 – 1989 school year. Four new classrooms, a larger learning media center, and two new restrooms were constructed in 1989.
Glencoe Elementary first grade wing was constructed in the 1998 – 99 school year. Four new classrooms, two restrooms, a counselor’s office, a janitorial closet, and a small multiple use room were added in this construction.
During the summer of 2002 the following improvements were begun: the boiler type heating system was replaced with individual HVAC units for ten classrooms and the office, windows in the ten classrooms were removed and replaced with two smaller, more energy efficient type windows, new ceiling tiles installed, exposed piping removed, and interior walls repainted. These new additions were completed for the 2003-2004 school year.
Beginning in August 2008, construction was started on a new lunchroom and renovations of the previous lunchroom. This renovated space will provide space to move the central server from the old building into the new building. The lunchroom construction was completed in March 2009.
Beginning in August 2009, renovation of the previous lunchroom began. This space now contains a larger teacher workroom, a counselor’s room, and a computer lab with dedicated server closet. This construction was completed at the end of September 2009.
Beginning in June 2013, the old original building was torn down to build a new wing of Glencoe Elementary School. The new building contains new offices, nurses office, 4 Kindergarten classrooms and a gym. This wing was completed for our 2014-2015 school year.
Glencoe Elementary School has been served by five principals. Mattie Wilson was named principal in 1975 when Miss Booker retired. Martha Tumlin was named principal in 1987 when Mrs. Wilson retired. Linda Griffin was named principal upon Mrs. Tumlin’s retirement in 1996. Tiffany Scott was named principal upon Mrs. Griffin’s retirement in 2008. In 2012, Teresa Lokey-Ashley was named principal after Tiffany Scott filled a position at Central Office.
Sorry, but there was nothing found. Please try different filters.